Blog Post

First of all, Two Observations

You subscribers may have noted you still get notifications of new posts. I have no idea why feed burner isn't carrying through on their warning that this service will go away. I don't intend to find out. As long as it lasts, wonderful.

The second observation is totally unrelated: did you know how many books there are with a title that includes The Red Door? I counted at least 14. Since a red door was involved in my life this week, I decided to see if it is a popular title for a book. It is. But more on red doors in a later post.

Picking Favorite Reads

We have all been reading since we learned how to. And we've agreed in the past that time has usually changed our preferences. But some books stand out, forever remembered and cherished and perhaps re-read.

I've picked 5 books in 5 genres as my own favorites, or at least a major favorite in the category. My hope is many of you will share yours as well. If not here, let me know personally so I can list them for my readers.

A Childhood Favorite:   Cherry Ames by Helen Wells

     The series begins with Cherry Ames, Student Nurse, and continues from there. It is listed as appropriate reading for 8 to 12 year olds, which sounds about right. Nancy Drew was great, but for me Cherry was even more special. This wonderful series is still in print and available in e-book format as well.

 **********

A Favorite Biography:  Truman by David McCullough

     This is a ponderous tome of over 800 pages. But the author brought Harry Truman alive for me, a fascinating - and honorable - man who lived an amazing life. It is rare for me to remember so many details about a certain book. And we can cross over into favorite history book here because Truman is both a biography and a wonderful account of decades of American history.

**********

A Favorite True Account:  The Insanity of God by Nik Ripkin

     Anyone who knows me has heard me laud this book, read just this year. I've read some awesome true stories, but none better than this one. It touched me deeply. 

**********

 A Favorite classic mystery:  Bratt Farrar by Josephine Tey

     To me the author was brilliant in pulling off one person assuming another's identity as plausible. That plus a great plot made it a stand alone among some other wonderful classic mysteries. 

 **********

A Favorite mystery series:  Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

     This was the most difficult one to pick because there are two others that rate very close. But Winspear's heroine and her plots hold my interest so consistently, and with great attention to historical accuracy. 

Do think about books that have stood the test of time for you, and share with the rest of us.


 


 

 

 

Comments

  1. Well, in 7th grade I liked Zane Grey and Jack London and read all of their books. However, the one that really stood out was Johnny Tremain. Truth be known, I tried reading them all again in later years and was not so impressed so I guess they have not "stood the test of time" but that's all I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read everything Zane Grey wrote too! For me the stories that took place on the Kentucky frontier were the best, the characters still stay with me. Jack London, so so, but Johnny Tremain came alive again in the movie Walt Disney put out for television. As a kid growing up didn't they do their job, sparking the imagination and telling a great story in a healthy way?

      Delete
  2. Two more individuals have shared favorite reads with me. Here are some of them.

    Donna's: Stolen Lives, by Malkia Oufkir. A true account.
    Hard Time, by classic author Charles Dickens
    Behind the Ranges, by Geraldine Taylor, the story of missionary J.O. Fraser

    Linda's: 1776, By David McCullough. Historical account.
    Sister Chicks in Wooden Shoes by Robin Jane Gunn. Fiction
    The Spy Mistress by Jennifer Chiaverni. Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. Videos about my father and his gambling addiction - Videodl
    The video games like Wolfenstein 1 and 2 have been around for decades. mp3 to youtube I have to remember that this was my father's best and most successful game of the

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment