Fads and Fashion

Fads are beyond my understanding. To narrow it down let's hone in on fashion. The 'latest thing' has been around for hundreds of years. Looking at those outfits the wealthy women wore in the middle ages will tell you that.




But for the past several decades even those with more humble pocketbooks manage to buy what's hot in jeans, purses, footwear. Do people get a high out of that?


My husband says I'm frugal. That may explain it. I do like to look nice and will spend a certain amount of money on my wardrobe. You'll just never catch this woman of strong Dutch heritage spend thousands of dollars on a pair of Air Yeezy shoes, vintage Levis, or a Gucci handbag. It's more likely for camels to start flying.

We have a caution around here about that word 'never', the rule being "never say never."

But I don't buy lottery tickets, either, so never totally applies.

Comments

  1. Few fads appeal to me. High fashion never has. I will spend money on classic items that are well cut and well made, but they turn out to be a bargain because I am still wearing them 20 years later. I still have a pair of Cole Haan loafers I bought in 1995. And leather Coach handbags from the same era. The fashionistas scorn, but I couldn't wear the shoes they covet even if I wanted, because they aren't made in very narrow widths.

    I'm glad I'm old enough to be perfectly comfortable wearing what suits me rather than what fashion dictates. I have to work harder to find, or make, new pieces, but I am going to wear clothing that suits my style and my shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh if only Everybody - or at least more people - would wear what suits their style and shape.......

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Post