In the literary world what inspires you, what lifts your spirits?

      
  

In the literary world what inspires you, what lifts your spirits? 

 This is a very personal question.
The answer will vary with our personalities and our personal experiences. If someone tells me they avoid books which deal with sadness and tragedy because they find it depressing, my thought reaction is, ‘okay, but do you avoid all books that contain these circumstances, or only ones that leave you in a dark mood? Because there is a big difference.

To read only books that always have bright rainbows and sunshine, handsome guy gets beautiful girl, gets predicable and boring. That’s me. In my fiction and factual accounts I look for reality, but reality that carries hope and victories mixed in with the disappointments, heart break, and challenges. That’s what encourages and inspires me.

Do you find it disturbing that so much of the current culture seems to thrive on the negative? A lot of people are fascinated, mesmerized even, by darkness that’s seldom penetrated by light. I can’t thrive on that. It disturbs me, takes up too much of my thoughts and haunts some of my dreams. Why do that? Is it healthy?

But to learn from other’s mistakes, to read about those who determined to rise above terrible circumstances, who found hope and God moving through hard times, that’s uplifting. In fiction, it’s Lord Peter Wimsey getting through the Post-traumatic stress syndrome of his experiences in World War I to use his wealth and his intelligence to solve crimes. It’s the wonderful sense of humor that is restored to Anthony Ray Hinton wrongly sitting on death row when he makes the decision not to let the injustice suffered destroy him.
You get the idea?

If you think about it, you can tell a great deal about a person by what they read and what they write. It exposes some of their soul.

The books you’ll find recommended and reviewed here will expose some of my own.

Comments

  1. Excellent post, MaryJo. I prefer something lighter and hopefully with some humor, but I also read drama. There are a few things I tend to stay away from, but that's a personal choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Marja, and thanks for the kudos. As you say, personal choice.

      Delete
  2. Hi MaryJo! Just stopping in to see what is what. Looks like you have the scaffolding for a blog here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you ought to know, Maria. For those coming here and reading comments,
      may I say both Maria and Marja are 'old' web friends, and both of these ladies
      have published writing what they love, and had blogs. So they've had their
      own personal adventures, both still on-going, too.

      Delete
  3. I have so many resources in my own library, from C.S. Lewis's "The Chronicles of Narnia" to James Herriot's memoirs to Lucy Maud Montgomery's "Anne of Green Gables" series. One surprising choice, though, is Susan Howatch's Starbridge series. I had agreed to review "Absolute Truths" at a dark point in my life, and reading it transformed my life. Later, I encountered other Anglicans who were appalled by the egregious sins committed by characters, including Anglican clergy, in the series. Yet, it was that -- and their redemption -- that turned things around for me. Their reconciliations reminded me that I, too, could be reconciled to God, just as so many sinning saints before me have been.

    On the other hand, I have lists of books and writers I will not read when I'm down, because the darkness of their stories pulls me further down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, I replied to this wonderful post yesterday, but apparently somehow it did
      not come up. Probably my fault, my apologies.
      These are wonderful recommendations, some new for me personally. One of C.S.
      Lewis's writes that made a big impression upon me was Til We Have Faces.
      The Starbridge series and Absolute Truths will go on The List.

      Delete
  4. Lately I have been drawn to fiction that features Christian characters who face challenges that help them grow spiritually. These stories help me to keep my focus on God, who is my help and strength when I face my own life challenges. Sometimes there is a valuable lesson, and sometimes the feel-good stories are simply a way to find a place of rest and refreshment from the daily grind. I am not good at memorizing the names of authors, but will do some back checking on my recent reads, and get back with any recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please do that, Ellie. It would be great for you to share some of the reads you personally have found uplifting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Post