Eating Healthy

             
Eating Healthy



Perusing just 3 magazines that happen to be on hand, I’ve been informed by expert nutritionists, physicians, and research studies that oranges, cumin, zinc, cinnamon, tomatoes, cabbage, green tea, dark chocolate, red wine, white wine,
Spinach, curcumin, corn, and pomegranates will all help you live a longer and healthier life by providing nutrients of various sorts that protect from a variety of ailments and illnesses.


  Do any of these foods have any protein in them? We all know protein is a must. The magazines I read next week at the dentist’s office or in the coffee shop will – and have – added a number of other things to lower the risk of more disease processes. If I buy all of the supplements and eat all of the recommended amounts of spinach, corn, cabbage, etc., I’ll be stuffed without any protein on the plate at all – even if the weekly budget covered all of it. Even if eating that much didn’t make me nauseated and bloated and miserable. Even if the next issues of the publications didn’t add some more food and beverage.


Only the recommended amount of dark chocolate seems reasonable.



What was interesting is that once again coffee is in favor. Hurrah!

A very famous radio personality said in a speech that in his long career he had learned not to embrace all of the latest published research until time proved its worth. He used coffee as an example. Over a 10 year period he saved a number of articles put out by credible sources that did a complete reversal on whether coffee was good or bad for you. Coffee bad, coffee good, maybe coffee not good for blood pressure, coffee intake lowers risk of gall bladder disease, and so it went.

That was thirty years ago.



Maybe we need to use our common sense? All of our bodies are different, we are unique individuals even in our physical make-up. What is right for me may not be right for you.



Excuse me. My low caffeine, cinnamon coffee is ready.

Comments

  1. Crazy isn't it? There's just too much information to absorb. Who gives it serious thought accept hypochondriacs? Take our vitamins and don't worry about it. 🥱

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often wondered whether any subject is as vulnerable to junk science as diet and nutrition. Coffee is a favorite victim of food faddists. Remember the diet police of the late 1980s and the 1990s, who preached margarine over butter? Common sense told me that was silly, since butter is natural and margarine is not. Butter was finally vindicated. Yes, it contains cholesterol. But our bodies metabolize it better than margarine.

    Laboratory created meat is the next big thing -- and I expect the same thing to happen. People who sentimentalize the production of cattle, hogs, poultry, etc., will embrace it and eventually research will show that humans were not designed to metabolize lab-created foods.

    Surely, in this as in so many things, moderation is the best option?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what your anonymous radio personality said: wait until time has proven the worth.

    I recently began to (once again) pay attention to what I ingest, in view of losing lbs. and living a healthier lifestyle. Last time I did this, I asked my doctor for a diet. "I don't believe in diets," was his brusque answer. He got me to count calories, read labels, and pay attention to the good vegetables and fruits, but also keep an eye on overall nutrition (ie. proteins, the "good" cholesterol, etc.) and daily exercise. After six weeks back on this regimen, I have lost 21 lbs. Not where I want to be yet, but on the way.

    I might add that, for me, this process is 75% mental. Once I get my mind set on attaining the goal (and with God's help, of course), I have found I can pretty much stay the course. I also am never hungry, and sometime actually need to force myself to eat to attain the recommended calorie/nutritional intact for that day (I am trying to stay at a maximum of 1500 calories per day).

    BTW, if anyone is interested, https://myfitnesspal.com has a marvelous tool to track all of this and make it easy.

    As I mentioned, it is mental with me. The last time I did this, almost nine years ago, I lost 75lbs and felt fantastic. My downfall was losing hold of the mental game and not maintaining the "lifestyle" of eating correctly.

    Pray that I attain both goals this time: the weight loss AND the maintenance goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard, Thanks for coming, and for your informative and thought provoking comments. Just goes to show what common sense and determination along with knowing your own needs can do. I wish you all the best in staying the course and losing the weight you want to.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Post