fun stuff



For at least eighty years one of the most popular choices among the American population for how to spend a vacation is Camping!   

  I'm admittedly pretty ignorant on this subject. My mother was a city girl who was terrified at the idea of staying overnight in isolated areas, and didn't think putting up a tent or living out of a tiny camper for a solid week was appealing in any way. She compromised; we went to a cottage many of the years I was growing up. She still had to pack food and towels, bed linen, clothes, first aid items, etc. But there were many rented cottages in close proximity, all with electricity, indoor plumbing, and kitchens of a sort. My brothers and sister and I were fine with that, because the cottage was close to a wonderful lake where we went swimming and boating. There was always someone else to play with if your cousins didn't come along. 

I went to 'camp' as a girl, but we didn't stay in tents either.  Large rustic buildings housed the attendees, and there was a common building where we took most of our meals, served up cafeteria-style.
Now campfires with hot dogs and marshmallows, that happened often. Then I went back to my clean sheets in the cottage, the dorm, or my own bed.

So the allure never caught on with me, but what do I know? Obviously the people driving all those thousands of campers and trailers traveling America's roads aren't planning to spend much of their time in the parking lot of a hotel. The state park where I take frequent walks has three different campgrounds, and they are popular in spring, summer, and fall. On holiday weekends they're packed.

But there's something interesting to be observed about a lot of these outdoor enthusiasts nowadays: they take a large portion of home right along with them! Sure there are some tents and humbler accommodations. But many of these boxes on wheels are huge and boast of countless amenities.

Their occupants sit outdoors in the morning in very comfy lawn chairs while they surf their cell phones, the aroma of their breakfast coming from the kitchen inside or the portable grill they've brought with them. I wonder if the grills are too low to the ground for comfort or if they're saving them for marshmallows later on. It's rare to see someone sitting at the picnic table. It's usually empty or piled high with belongings. Instead there's a nice table set up for eating and recreation.

If the 'campers' are hanging around for a few days the outside may be more elaborate. Beautiful awnings have been erected, a flag pole is set up with Old Glory wafting in the breeze, potted plants appear, and maybe a portable fenced area erected to house the dogs. 

If my mom were still here she might rethink camping as a vacation option.
 

Comments

  1. My family camped a lot as I was growing up. We stayed at nearly every campground in the state. When I was a teenager I vowed I would never make my kids go camping. I said this because I couldn't find what I was looking for in my suitcase. My sisters do not camp either. My kids think I jipped them out of something grand.
    My children did go to church camp and loved it. Sometimes they were in a cabin, sometimes in a teepee, sometimes in a train. (Yes, a train.) It was a unique experience. I also when to church camp where we stayed in cabins. I have many good memories of that experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like mixed reviews for camping from your end!

      Delete
  2. Talk about timely!

    I just read an article in The Wall Street Journal about the luxury trend to "camp" (if it can be called that) in luxury in remote locations, such as a cabin in Denali that is only accessible by helicopter and costs $6000 per night. Yes, six thousand! For that, you get high-end linens on real beds, stunning views . . . and no Internet. Sometimes, no electricity. Other times, air-conditioning.

    I have always been amazed that my parents camped -- in a tent -- on their honeymoon, because my mother definitely preferred luxury hotels to roughing it. Apparently, it was a popular honeymoon choice in 1958. I've often wondered if the choice accounted for some of the failure of their marriage, myself!

    We did camp a lot when I was a small girl, most often renting a crude cabin at Lake Huntsville, north of Houston. The cabin had a concrete floor, one or two log walls and the others screened. We slept on the air mattresses we used in the daytime for floating on the lake, which is also where we bathed. No bathrooms. No kitchens. We cooked over a campfire, and my parents scoured the cast iron skillet with sand and then wiped it with newspapers. I'm not sure where we got water.

    I went to YMCA camp and Girl Scout camp when I was a little older, sleeping on cots in similar cabins -- though we did have bathhouses. Meals were served family style, and I remember being "corrected" because I did not know what to do with the sliced sandwich bread that was served with supper. I'd never had sandwich bread at supper, just in sandwiches or toasted for breakfast. As a young adult, my friends liked to camp in the Texas Hill Country . . . but I already had arthritis and sleeping on the ground was painful!

    My husband and I considered buying, or renting an RV after I was diagnosed with celiac disease, when it was difficult to find gluten-free food while traveling. But George nixed that after his research showed that the nightly fee for a campsite was equal to the cost of a night at a Hampton Inn. I'd be open to that, though I could do without the satellite television, if I didn't have to pay so much. For that money, I want someone to make up the bed and bring me fresh towels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Thanks for sharing your experiences, too, Carole. It seems to me after reading your and Linda's comments, camping covers an even wider range of possible experiences than I thought.

      Delete
  3. My camping experiences were not luxurious. Usually we were out at a ... well, more than rustic cabin because we had to brand cattle for more than one day. No electricity, wood burning stove and a nice outhouse. :) I do love to hike, but I prefer it be a one-day thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary Jo, My birth family didn't camp at all, however I did go to Girl Scout camp as a girl. No tents, however, but rustic cabins. After we had children, we were determined to give our kids the authentic camping experience. And boy oh boy, am I glad we did! It taught all of us resilience, ingenuity, cooperation and the true difference of wants vs. needs. We even made our own "shower' out of a hula hoop, an old shower curtain and a black water bag. It worked! In addition, it brought us much closer as a family. We tent camped for many years, and also did a fair amount of back camping. What great memories!
    Later, we bought a pop-up, then a class C motor home, then a travel trailer, all of which were fun and filled the need as we aged. But nothing will ever replace those early true camping experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to hear how successful your camping ventures as a family were. It does sound like you were the more rustic types - making a shower out of a hula hoop? Ingenious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Post