Two New Book Recommendations

Two New Book Recommendations

My book recommendations this time are outside of the norm of my preferred reading
genres. Never-the-less these are books I enjoyed immensely; which just goes to show sometimes you have to venture a little beyond the normal comfort zone or you could miss out.

Wisdom of the Last Farmer, by David Mas Masumoto 

A landmark event in Mr. Massumoto's farming family life has him pondering the meaning of his existence as it has been defined by a lifetime devoted to the family farm. As he does so he reveals a beautiful correlation between the labor put into the land, the fruit it yields as a result, and how the experience shapes the identity of the farmer.

Written with insight and humor, this third generation distinguished agriculturalist and man of many talents stirred up memories of my own childhood spent surrounded by those who livelihood was the soil. 
One of my favorite little excerpts is about the inevitable junk piles that develop with the reluctance to throw anything away. After speaking at a farm conference in Wisconsin - where I grew up - Mr. Masumoto was approached by an elderly farmer who told him with a confidential air, ".... out here we call that inventory." 




 https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Last-Farmer-Harvesting-Legacies-ebook/dp/B002I1XPZQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=wisdom+of+the+last+farmer&qid=1562778717&s=books&sr=1-1


Song of Albion, a trilogy by Stephen Lawhead 

The e books in this series are The Paradise War, The Silver Hand, and The Endless Knot. I was hooked after the first one because Lawhead wrote a great story that made me think of the Lord of the Rings, the only other fantasy in my reading library. These stories are less complicated than Tolkien's masterpiece, but just as much fun. A writer puts a bit of their own soul into what they write. I like the expression of the author's soul, whic presents eventual victory, healing, and resolution, at the end of a long and costly struggle.

These are totally appropriate for teens and pre-teens. My grandson loved them.You can buy the entire set on Amazon for e-book reader for $5.99  



        https://www.amazon.com/Song-Albion-Collection-Paradise-Endless-ebook/dp
   
 

Comments

  1. Hi MaryJo! I agree with you that it is often a very pleasing adventure to read outside of your preferred genre. My comfort genre is mystery/suspense because that's what I write, but I love to read other genres as well when I have the time. Lately, I've found a number of historical novels that I would whole-heartedly recommend. If you get the chance, check out The German Midwife by Mandy Robotham, Mist O'er The Voyageur by Naomi Musch, or Girl Waits With Gun, by Amy Stewart. They are all very entertaining, page-turning reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great recommendations, Barbara. Thank you so much for sharing.
      Anyone else have recommendations outside of their usual reading taste to share?

      Delete
  2. Well, you know "The Last Farmer" is going to appeal to us! My beautiful mom-by-marriage grew up in central California, where her father was a potato farmer before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. After the war, he started another farm near Denver, not far from the last camp where the family was interred for the duration of the war. My husband's other grandfather grew citrus and ornamental shrubs in Texas, briefly, and Alabama. And my husband was the last farmer in the family when he retired recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your husband will both love this book, there are so many ways you can relate to it. You might also want to look into the author's other award winning book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Post