Blog Post

What I Miss, and What I Don't

But it is what it is.In case you haven't noticed, we live in a time in history where change is a constant fact of life. Some of the changes happen so fast it can make you dizzy just thinking about it. These changes emcompass almost every area of our lives, including what we read, and how we read.


It is hard to fathom that even a century ago people's lives didn't change that much at all in regard to lifestyle, technology,  or the culture they lived in. They thought they were seeing magic before their eyes with
automobiles, airplanes, and new farm machinery, much of which many of them would never experience themselves.

A man who spent thirty-five years in prison for a crime he didn't commit was finally freed about two years ago. In his book, The Sun Still Shines, he tells the story of being terrified he would be arrested again because he didn't see his friend pay for their meal in a restaurant. He had no idea what a credit card was for.  Can you imagine the poor guy trying to keep up with ever-changing computer technology? 



Some of the things I miss:  High schools where the biggest problems were smoking in the bathroom and students not picking up their trash.
                                                Television shows and movies without blatant profanity.
                                                Walmarts that still had their own snack bars instead of featuring chain fast food restaurants.
                                                Small towns where didn't have to lock your cars and the doors to your house.                                      
                                                Computers that didn't force you to completely change your system and your way of thinking every five years to suit no one but themselves.
                                                My Dad's sour milk pancakes
                                                Socks for a reasonable price that last more than one winter. 
                                                The library with tons of books you checked out from a real person who used that date stamp on a slip glued to the inside of the book.
                                                Long handwritten letters from friends.

Don't miss one bit:             Having to spend an entire day doing the ironing
                                                Paint that stunk to high heaven for a least a day after you put it on the walls.                                     
                                                The cost of long distance phone calls.
                                                Canning. (Sorry, those of you who still embrace that sort of thing.)
                                                Windows without thermopanes. 
                                                Quick showers so the hot water doesn't run out.
                                               
                                               

This is only a sample, of course. Does it bring to mind your own list?

Was the trade off worth it? Sometimes I have my doubts. But as my husband often says, "it is what it is."
 
                                                 
                                                   

Comments

  1. As one who has been dragged, more or less kicking and screaming into the age of technology, I can relate to the author's list of items missed and not missed. I only recently acquired a smart phone at the insistence of my more tech savvy children, only to discover the joy of having a kindle app on my phone. As an avid reader, I love having that convenient access to whatever I am currently reading. Just revisited one of James Herriot's classics, "All Creatures Great and Small", and enjoyed it just as much the second time around. Talk about revisiting the inconveniences of an earlier time! It also brought back happy memories of sharing those stories with my dad, and laughing together over Mr. Herriot's adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In line with your enjoyment of some 21st century technology, I'll admit I don't
      miss having to tote heavy books on vacation because of my own electronic book
      reader.

      Delete
  2. I miss when Christmas was the only holiday decorated for and when the decorations went up after Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one! Only I'll put my own spin on it and say, I miss when decorating for fall was with pumpkins and gourds and leaves and corn husks, not ghoulish stuff.

      Delete
    2. Me, too.

      I know I'm late to the party. Forgive me. In my childhood and youth, we carved the jack-o-lantern out of a pumpkin on Halloween, before we went trick-or-treating. It wasn't sitting out for a month or more, but for one evening. No one had a 25-foot-high ghost tethered to their front lawn, or a skeleton grinning from their upstairs windows. And we didn't put our Christmas trees up in November, much less October.

      I could go on, but I am very late to this party. I will, however, report that the Walmart in my neighborhood does have its own snack bar.

      Delete
  3. Yes. you put words to my thoughts -- without all the ghoulish stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I know I said I wouldn't go on since I was so late . . . but I will add a tiny bit more. I do like canning, especially making jams, but the difference is that I don't have to do it now. I threw out a bunch of peppers this summer because I was tired of canning them and making pepper jelly, and I refused to feel guilty about it. My grandmothers wouldn't have been able to toss them, but they would have hated having to put up 100-plus jars of pepper jelly or half a dozen dozen jars of tomatoes or spiced peaches or pears or whatever excess the garden produced. For them, canning was a chore. For me, it is a luxury that results in better jam, jelly, salsa, etc., than I can buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point; if you enjoy a task and anticipate the outcome of your labor, it isn't a
      chore. For me - admittedly as a child - assisting with canning was that. There are
      enough homemade products at farmer's markets by small growers to prove that for some the effort is worth it.
      I still don't miss it. :)
      However, I do miss picking strawberries in my mother's patch - it never seemed
      like a chore, the fruit was so beautiful.

      Delete
    2. I agree about picking strawberries. Besides, the best-tasting varieties never make it to market -- too fragile for mass marketing. I think I always managed to eat half what I picked, which is just as well because that fruit didn't have a chance to get bruised. :)

      Delete
  5. Haha. Some great ones. I love the "tethered" to the lawn. Those things look about ready to take off--and they are entirely too fake. I was never one to decorate for any holiday. I like jack-o-lanterns, but that about covers it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now jack-o-lanterns can be very creative, and making them has to be timeless.
      That and bobbing for apples.... do they do that anymore?

      Delete
    2. My photography instructor has spoiled jack-o-lanterns for me because he carves elaborate ones, like Snow White receiving the poisoned apple from the witch. I bought a pumpkin yesterday, but I am not going to carve it.

      Meanwhile, the inflatable ghost rises above the roof line of the house around the corner, dwarfing the house. And it's been up for almost a month already.

      Last year, the house two doors up had Halloween decorations and Santa's sleigh and reindeer on the front lawn at the same time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Post