Book Review


Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts

 If you are a fan of Billie Letts, a member of Oprah's Book Club, or an avid movie watcher,
you may already be familiar with this novel. If so you can read my review and compare it with your own opinion - and feel free to share it, I'd love that. 

 None of the above in my case, I stumbled across this story in my local used book store. (Where many a treasure has been found.) Some time ago someone told me about the movie so my interest was piqued. 

 Think Walmart of over twenty-five years ago, without all of the computer intervention and technology it features now. 
Think of a teenage girl without any healthy family ties, financial advantages, or prospects, who unsurprisingly hooks up with a good looking young guy and ends up pregnant. Think of a small Oklahoma town that's totally ordinary and forgettable to almost anyone who wasn't born there. 

 Letts is a master storyteller who weaves a fascinating story around this backdrop. One of her talents is in creating and describing the characters, both the primary ones and what would in movie jargon be called the supporting cast. You get to know them all very well. 

 Who could not love Novalee, who in spite of a miserable growing up has maintained an air of innocence, combined with drive, compassion, and intelligence? 
Who could not despise Willy Jack, who thinks only of himself and not only desserts Novalee in a strange town with no money, but uses and abuses everyone he comes in contact with?
 Then there's Forney, who somehow doesn't fit in with any pattern, and yet plays such a huge part in the scenarios and years that lie ahead. He is a wonderful hero.

 Most of the supporting cast is comprised of poor and everyday people. Some like Moses and Sister Hubbard are kind and giving. Others are pathetic, evil. None are perfect. Some arise above their mistakes and circumstances, others succumb. 

 I loved the reality of good times and bad times, heartache and tragedy, but also victories and happy endings. That's real life.

What is also very well portrayed is this reality: we reap what we sow. Choosing good options and being willing to take advantage of opportunites by working hard to achieve her goals, Novalee grows into an intelligent and successful young woman, mother, and friend. In an ending with a surprise twist she also finds the courage to accept the love she rejected for the wrong reasons. 
 In contrast, Willy Jack reaps what he sows as well, but like most reprobates he has a soul that is not yet entirely without redemption. 

https://www.amazon.com/Where-Heart-Billie-Letts-ebook/dp/B000Q67J5M/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=where+the+heart+is+by+billie+letts&qid=1570494740&s=digital-text&sr=1-2




 My 3.5 out of 5 star rating is because of the unnecessarily graphic accounts of some of the sordid scenarios, especially in describing the path Willy Jack walks . Letts is a fantastic writer; she could have given us a clear picture of what went on without doing that. She handles the story of the horrible abuse Novalee's best friend and her children go through with a gentler hand but the reader still grasps what happened very clearly.  
We all have some pet peeves when reading a story, and a couple of mine brought this
read down the other half a star. It's a personal thing. 

 If Billie Letts views her success in writing a book by the standard of how well it will be remembered, Where the Heart Is has been a huge success for many readers, including myself.  

Comments

  1. Sounds wonderful but as you know I won't be reading it. I have the same scruples in reading as you do. It is probably an age thing along with convictions.It is so unnecessary in most cases to give the sordid details.But that is today's reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, yes, the trend now is to view writing every detail of intimate and negative behavior as some sort of art form. The talent lies with giving the listener or the reader a clear indication of the happening without doing that. I don't want to feel dirty and in need of a bath after
      listening to or reading something. On the other hand I don't want to shy away from reality
      by avoiding and refusing to acknowledge such things exist.

      Delete
    2. More balance and boundaries, MaryJo.

      At the insistence of my mother and my grandmother, I actually took freshman English in college rather than getting credit for it by taking an exam (like ALL of my classmates and friends). I compromised by taking it in summer school, much to their chagrin, but that meant it was taught by a full professor rather than a graduate assistant, and I have never forgotten the gentle tirade we got when a student said, "That sucks." I can't recall what "sucked" but who could forget the the challenge he threw down to us to learn how to describe something without resorting to vulgarity and bad language? Or the examples he provided in future lessons of how much more effective good writing was than poor writing that depended on the shock tactics of obscene or profane words and sordid descriptions.

      Delete
    3. How interesting! I must admit to using what has now become common slang to some
      extent - and I have said something sucks! But he was so right. Perhaps it's reading
      that has kept me from falling into the frequent use of vulgar language. - and I know my conservative values and faith has been a caution too.
      Alert, alert, One Of My Bandwagon Moments:
      If you want to get a personal rebuke from me, where I don't care if you decide not
      to socialize with me again because of it? Just say the 'f' word very often in my presence. That is the
      most disgusting thing, and what a sad condemnation of our society that for some it
      has become a part of their everyday language. One close family member slips with it
      now and then because he hears it so often himself - it doesn't happen often.
      The new movies out by Amazon and Netflix are full of it. Mature audience???? More
      like immature.

      Delete
    4. Interesting Carole. Thanks for sharing. I have heard this truth expressed before but had forgotten it. Good to remember when accused of being archaic.

      Delete
    5. I'd like to know what is archaic about preferring good writing to lazy writing, which is what that professor called it. Give me the good writing every time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Post