Blog Post

Looking back at what I've written

Which is quite interestingThis blog was started in June, and for the first time since then I'm going to talk about my

own books. The first Sally Nimitz mystery was written over a decade ago, and the second one wasn't published until several years later. In 2012 Elderberry Press printed both The Death of Amelia Marsh and The Disappearance of Douglas White in e-book format, which opened up the world of the website to me for the first time. 

Now there are seven Sally Nimitz mysteries. In some ways Sally Nimitz is a part of me, but one forgets details of your own life, and an author forgets the details of her main character's life, too. 
And another thing: even as there are experiences of my own past I would rather forget, there are
things about my early writing I would do differently now. 

But having admitted that, I'll also say without shame, these female whodunits aren't too bad!

Not too long ago I picked up the 4th book in the series, The Truth about Charlie, and read it
from cover to cover. And I really enjoyed it. There was one particular thing that irked me, although it's likely it didn't bother most readers. Don't expect me to tell you what it was. Then there was a myriad of smaller details that time and inclination could re-edit and change. But in all honesty these little details may not be important except to me. (Other writers or those with editing skills excepted.)



If a writer isn't totally roadblocked, he or she will continue to learn and to grow. As such it is natural to look back and see the process of doing that and think, "I wish I knew then what I know now."

Doesn't that sound like thoughts you've had and probably verbalized in your own life's journey?
In my writing, being a wife, a mom, a friend, a gardener, that thought applies to all of those things and
the rest of my life experiences, too.   

 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KOYFVWO/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1


Comments

  1. I have lost the details of The Truth about Charlie. too. Maybe I should reread it. I will enjoy it as all your books are good reads.
    Waiting patiently for the next book in this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the evaluation of your books, they are getting better so I am anxiously awaiting your next one! P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you two. There will be another, next year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Post