Book Recommendations

Bobby Owen Mysteries, by E.R. Punshon 

Another lover of old-time mysteries told me about E.R. Punshon. Never heard of him?

 Neither had I. It seems Mr. Punshon's work received acclaim in Britain during those golden years of the mid-twentieth century mysteries, earning a place if not equal to, at least in the same circles as Dorothy Sayers and Agatha Christie. 
But he never achieved the same level of success in the United States.

Happily his work is still in print, both in electronic and soft cover format. And just as good, so far his work is very reasonably priced.  After reading three Bobby Owen mysteries for myself  I'm now comfortable passing them on for your own enjoyment. 

 Be warned, even in the print updates you quickly realize a more old-fashioned way of grammar. It has been a long time since I saw so many commas! And of course, the stories take place decades ago in a way of life that is no more. (That's part of the personal charm for me.

Bobby Owen is a young rookie police officer in the first book in the series, which is quite a variation from both police procedurals such as those with Marsh's Inspector Allyn, or the experienced and clever minded amateurs such as Jane Marple. You learn right along with the handsome young rookie,
which is a new footprint for those of us always seeking another author and fresh whodunit material.



https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WDDQ0K6/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 



https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WDDPZTS/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 

Comments

  1. I've ordered it for my Kindle - love your recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked these. I have now read all of the Bobby Owen series. One of Punshon's earlier mysteries is in the public domain, and I enjoyed it, too. (For free!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to have friends on the web and off who tune me in to new authors and
    their talents.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Post