Just for Fun

The interesting experience of belonging to a book club

And discovering experiences greatly vary....


 

As soon as we moved to this community, over 9 years ago, a neighbor who found out I wrote things invited me to join a local book club. This was my first experience belonging to a book club and I was skeptical. Would I be spending precious time reading books I didn't want to read? Would I be listening to the other members laud material that was a turn off for me, making me the oddity? 

But wanting to get to know local people, and very much liking the lady who invited me, I gave it a try - and stayed for six years. Yes, the book being read that month was something that didn't appeal to me personally, and getting into it just verified my initial suspicions. That evening there were about seven of us who attended at my neighbor's home. As soon as the discussion began one of the ladies' announced grandly, "Here's what I thought of this book." She proceeded to put a finger in her mouth and make the recognizable gesture for nausea. 

This was going to work out! They allowed varied opinions! Not only that, our evening meetings consisted of delicious refreshments, including a choice of beverages.... including wine. And the ladies' were friendly, great people to get to know. (Our book club just happened to be all female.)

We did spend time discussing the books - unlike some book clubs I've heard about - and yes, there were books I didn't care for, which was an experience we all had. But I was also able to share some of my favorites, and admittedly read and enjoyed reads I'd never had picked up if it wasn't for our monthly book club.   

A few other friends have been in or currently belong to book clubs, and one of my own books has even been a featured read. So I found out some clubs meet weekly or bi-weekly, in morning, afternoons, or evenings, meeting in homes, libraries, or various other settings. And some of them don't even provide beverages, much less refreshments! What fun is that? 

A book I just read featured a book club where the leader (leader? we didn't have a leader) ends up murdered. I mean, do some people really take their book clubs that seriously? Only in fiction, I hope. 

 

  


Comments

  1. Ah... it was/ is fun! We miss your astute observations! Just finished Educated... have you read it? Reviews were a little mixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you here, Connie! Is it okay to let everyone know you were one
      of my book club mates? Connie is an avid reader and her opinions and observations are always worth listening to.

      Delete
  2. My only experience with a book club was a "virtual" one, on an old Amazon.com forum. I had always wanted to join one, but I worked such unpredictable hours for so many years and then I didn't really know anyone else who was interested. I would never have read any of the books the virtual club selected on my own, and I did enjoy some of them very much. I did not, however, enjoy many of the participants, but certainly a great deal of that was due to the nature of the format and the attraction the Internet has for some extraordinarily negative people. Being a public forum, we could not really prohibit other users from joining in. Including one who left me (and others) wondering why she thought she enjoyed reading and what she actually comprehended from her reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never been in a book club although I know they exist in my city. My concern is that I would be required to read what I consider unsavory. But on the other hand it would be interesting to hear what others had to say on things I missed, especially on the scholarly side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha! You all just reinforced my observation that experiences - and we'll add opinions about -
    with book clubs vary.
    Unknown I thank you for your kind remark; you must be one of about 10 people I got to
    know while a member of the group. No, haven't read that book but I'll look it up.
    Carole, may I suggest if you choose to start or accept an invitation to a book club consider the other members
    as a guide to what will be chosen as the book to read and discuss. And if there is a time when
    you find the book to objectionable to read, do what we did: read a portion of it only and
    explain why you didn't finish. That's always good for a great discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops... that last comment above was directed toward Linda, not Carole. In my defense I had only had half a cup of coffee at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just checked out Educated on GoodReads and found an extended review by Bill Gates. He gave the book 5 stars. However, the last time I read a book with connections to Mormonism, as this book has, I received recommendations from every Mormon book in print. Just kidding. But I did get a lot of them. Anyway, you will certainly get a feel about the book after reading Gates review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Post