Book Recommendations

More Book Recommendations

Two reads for relaxation

 The Black Cat Murders by Karen Baugh Menuhin

 

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Cat-Murders-Cotswolds-Heathcliff-ebook/dp/B07R4M6DBP 

    The second in the British series featuring Heathcliff Lennox, this is an enjoyable whodunit for those always looking for a new murder mystery without explicit details in sex and gore, or an array of every profane word devised by the culture of the time. 

Yet it retains the atmosphere of realism and the description of characterizations needed to make the story work. Neither of those would be enough if it wasn't well written with a good plot, but it is. Menuhin gives us a light read; she is not - in my opinion - of the caliber of Dorothy Sayers or Ngaio Marsh, but she outranks many in the current field flooding the market of the mystery genre. 

I have to like my main character and I like Heathcliff.  Also the price is right, currently you can buy the e-book format for $2.99


Murder in the Crypt by Irina Shapiro

A Redmond and Haze Mystery 

This is the first in another new series. It ranks as comparable to Menuhin's work. She has placed her heroes in Britain as well, but about 50 years earlier, right after the American Civil War. Redmond is American, Haze is British, Redmond is a physician, Haze is a village constable. A body found in the church crypt brings them together for the first time.

The book wouldn't be recommended if I didn't like it, but the quality of the story doesn't rate quite as high with me. I'll say no more, judge for yourself.  Shapiro does put forth good effort to put reality into the lifestyles and the events which form the background for her mystery. 

The price is also worth your look and see,  $2.99 in e-book format. 

 

 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081M6G4GT/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

 

Comments

  1. I've been re-reading my Ngaio Marsh collection lately, so I think I will file the first recommendation away for future reference . . . it sounds like it would suffer from comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too many are as talented as Marsh. Menuhin rates well
      above some of the other popular cozy writers who are doing well out there right now.
      And Shapiro's book is good - maybe some would like hers just as well or better.

      Delete
  2. I'll give it a try - I've tried Kindle books but Amazon keeps upping the price in any series I try out. Since our library is closed I need to rely on books that can be downloaded. In desperation, I have signed into Netflix and started the series "Call Saul" that started out hilarious and well done but has degenerated into gore and violence - still well done but, hey, not my thing. I look forward to trying the Black Cat Murders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can comment on any other post and tell us what you thought.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Post