Fun Stuff

Are You Baking More These Days?

And even if you aren't, you still need something to snack on.

Addendum on this post as of April 11th: The recipe below calls for Flaxseed. However, in the past I've used flaxseed meal, and since putting up this post I've used flaxseed. The difference was, using flaxseed is messier! It is harder to make the individual energy bites.  Both still taste great, but using the meal is much easier. 

 With spending more time at home, one has to get creative with how to use the time. One of those options is spending more time in the kitchen. Depending upon your inclination you may be cooking more, baking more, or both. Cooking is a hobby for my son, much to the delight of his wife. She happens to be vegetarian but he is undaunted and is currently treating her to more delicious meals than ever before. (I think she does most of the cleaning.)

Cooking is okay for me, but I tend along the simplistic lines, and my husband wouldn't appreciate gourmet meals anyway. To go and putter in the kitchen usually means, "what can I bake for us to snack on? 

But at this point in life there is also the consideration of less sugar, less white flour, eating more healthy.....  I'm no guru about it (you may recall the first Fun Stuff post here was about that very thing), but it is a consideration. And lately I've been looking at what to do with flaxseed.

When I went on line to look for flaxseed recipes, viola! There were two that were simple to put together and not only that, they don't require baking and the reviews were great. I've tried them both, and totally agree; they're delicious. 

Last weekend a friend and fellow writer and blogger, Maria Schneider, posted the 
Granola bar recipe on her blog,   Bear Mountain Books. 
http://www.bearmountainbooks.com/ 

 You can go to Bear Mountain  and scroll down the front page to catch that recipe, and you might want to take a look at Maria's books if you enjoy something along the fantasy line, too. There is often some fun conversation going on at Bear Mountain. 

The other recipe is very similar with only a couple of ingredient changes, and I'm going to share it here with you. Happy Snacking!

No Bake Energy Bites 

1 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup flaxseed (you can use flaxseeed meal.) 

1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter

1/3 cup honey

1 teaspoon vanilla,

1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 

                                              Combine all ingredients, shape with hands into balls about the size of a golf ball. Arrange on a baking sheet and freeze for one hour. Keep refrigerated or frozen. Enjoy.

  


Comments

  1. The last thing I need to do is bake! I am not getting as much exercise as I need, due to severe seasonal allergies . . . and I can't go to the gym instead. It's been tempting to seek comfort in ice cream or chips. I've gained five or more pounds. And I can't go out and buy bigger clothes.

    So, now I'm reminding myself that real comfort comes from God, not food (and especially not news reports) . . . and trying to ignore the container of Chex Mix that my dear, sweet husband made yesterday afternoon! As far as meals, well, we always eat well, but that dear, sweet husband has more than once wondered aloud if anyone else was experiencing the kind of meals we've had under "quarantine" conditions. Let's hope not, or we'll all end up obese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Carole, your comment about the changes in your meals under the
      current restrictions. These haven't changed our diet at all here, we've been able
      to get what we need, even if not always when we look the first time, which simply
      means changing the menu around sometimes.
      No chips in the house! Ice cream yes....

      But you are so right on, for the peace we need in our hearts, no earthly gratification will do it.

      Delete
  2. And to think I already have all the ingredients on hand! Can't wait to try this recipe out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snacks! I cook about the same as before, but I always cook a lot. As for allergies, have you tried wearing a face mask? They are all the rage and you'll be in style. I have been wearing one when I go to the grocery and I found that they helped with allergy season by accident!

    I'm all out of my favorite King Arthur All purpose flour. Bummer. There are some cakes that I can only make with that flour because of the high altitude. Keeping my eyes peeled for more, but it's been 6 weeks and haven't seen it online or in stores.

    Happy Easter everyone. May God bless us and help us find a cure for this latest disease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting that only King Arthur all purpose works in the higher altitude for
      you, as I use a more well known brand and have no trouble at all. For cakes and
      a few other items I use a little less baking powder, a little more liquid, and a little
      less of the flour.
      I have a high altitude cookbook that goes into much more details, and would be
      happy to provide a copy of that if you would like to sent me an e-mail.

      Easter Sunday was lovely here at our house. Hope it was for you, too.

      Delete
  4. I've heard that Lily something flour would work too. Supposedly it's the higher protein in the flour that helps. What is your altitude? I'm at 6500 feet above sea level. Mom is about 1000 feet below us and regular flour works fine for her in recipes (my recipes and her recipes). Somewhere in that 1000 feet something is lost...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are a little over 6000 ft above sea level. Eggs take longer to boil,
      baked potatoes to bake, etc. Cookies I can cook as the recipe states,
      but cakes must do adjustments, with less adjustment needed for muffins
      and bars, like brownies.
      One big problem is making the lemon for pie or pudding and getting the
      right consistency; that one is tricky.

      Delete
  5. I haven't had trouble with the pudding or lemon for pie--I did have trouble with banana pudding though. I am not sure what went wrong there...probably me gazing out the window!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Post