Fun Stuff

Bad Hair Days

It's high time for a haircut, a touch up to the roots, perhaps a perm?

     With a relaxation of social interaction restrictions for most of us (So sorry, Michigan), our hair stylists are back in business, even if they have to confirm to some pretty interesting guidelines in order to stay in the good graces of the local health department. The lady who cuts my hair has been working until 8 p.m. some evenings since she's been allowed to open again.

One of the jokes going around was now we all know the natural color of everyone's hair roots. Some people may have failed to see the humor in that... Some of us realized just what we have to deal with if we are several weeks out from our normal trip to shape up and cut off brittle ends. Dealing with this ourselves or allowing a family member to have a go could have worked out okay, or it could have resulted in disaster. 

This has been an issue for men just as much as women. One friend who sometimes visits this blog can attest to that, when she made an attempt to step up to the plate to be the barber.... Let's just say it won't happen again. My husband's hair is very curly and all of that natural wave thickening in the back and creeping over his collar was bugging him and making me sad. My hair is straight and feathery! He made it clear he was letting me nowhere near him with a scissors.    

Bad hair days may be more common when you can't get to the salon or barbershop, but bad hair day and bad haircuts are a fact of life. We've all had both. There seems to be some sort of curse upon me, as my worst haircuts seem to occur just before some special event when I want to look my best. I've also noticed my hair looks especially nice when I have nothing scheduled for that day but housework and gardening.

None of my own experiences can top the story I read about in a magazine several years ago, an experience written by a gentleman. 

He related an incidence in the largest and most progressive town in a small third world country in Africa. He and his wife were there for a few days to attend to business but also to enjoy a few days together away from their busy lives ministering in a village. One of the things on her to do list was a haircut. 

So one afternoon they kept their eyes open in the business district for a hair salon, and entered what looked like a reputable establishment. There was only one hairdresser there, she was busy sweeping the floor. But yes, she would happily cut the white lady's hair and named a price that was fair. 

Our story teller left her there to attend to a few more errands, and returned sometime later to collect his wife - who was extremely upset with her haircut. And he had to admit she was right, it looked awful. It was so bad she insisted on returning to their lodging immediately, where she burst into tears. It was so bad he decided to return on his own to the same shop the next morning to discuss the situation with the proprietor of the establishment. Now the shop was busy, there were several women busy cutting hair, but one of them approached to ask the gentleman what she could do for him.

"Look here," he said awkwardly, "I hate to complain, but my wife was here yesterday for a haircut and I must say it was an awful job and she's very upset." 

The owner of the shop was very distressed to hear this and asked him if he recognized who it was that gave the haircut. He did not, none of the hairdressers there were the one. 

A slow realization came over the shop owner. "What time were you here yesterday, sir?"

It had been about 3:30 in the afternoon.

Now a most horrified look came over her face. "The only person here at that hour yesterday was our cleaning woman! She must have seen an opportunity to make a little extra money!" 

 

 Let's face it; there are worse fates. Hair does grow out. Meanwhile there are trendy scarves or wigs. 

 

 


Comments

  1. All right eveyone - here's the key - cut your own hair all the time. That way, when all the hairdressers are not available, you don't even notice the difference. My friend asked me why my hair hadn't grown out like everyone else's hair - chuckle. Granted, my hair never looks fabulous and is often uneven but it is passable and for me, that is what counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your friend did not notice why your hair hadn't grown out, she probably thought
      you had a hairdresser secretly come to Your house to cut your hair! It must look
      nice for her not to guess you were being your own hair stylist.

      Delete
  2. Well, here in Albuquerque we still have no open salons. It has been years since my hair was this long. Good thing everyone's in the same boat. My son asked me to trim his hair but I have terrible hair fear from an incident years ago when I tried that with disastrous results. So we look like a couple of shaggy dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be a lot of shaggy dogs out there right now! It's the current trend.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Post