Fun Stuff


You Are Starting a Remodeling Project - Now??

Wow.....


A dear friend of mine - we were in snow suits together - and like myself past the age of looking for adventures, just informed me they are taking on a remodeling project.

What kind of project, I asked? Oh, nothing much, just the kitchen, deck, porch, powder room, driveway, and roof.
I'm thinking of the magnitude of completely re-doing all of that and asked how long it would take. Five months, says my friend. And because of the coronavirus they choose to stay at home and deal with it.

Five months? Tearing apart your major work and eat areas? Not even being able to go out and comfortably eat somewhere? Now this takes guts. Either that or they decided this cannot wait any longer. Maybe the roof leaks. I was a house guest there a number of years ago; it is a lovely home.


You can count me among those who don't have this kind of stamina. I'll be glad to clean your house, even your bathroom, deliver meals, venture out into coronavirus infested hot spots to do your shopping, even stay up all night at your bedside if you are ill.
But tear my house apart for five months and live in the middle of it?? That would probably do me in.
I've had a wonderful marriage for over 31 years but know better than to put it to this extreme test.

A lady who visits this site - she may have something to say about this - has recently had some serious
basement flood damage. She found out how stressful and time consuming it can be to deal with just the basement.

My friend has my permission to call me and whine or vent any time. Anything to save her sanity and her marriage - she has a great husband.

It's too bad the Property Brothers aren't available. They always complete these projects in about 8 weeks.






Comments

  1. At first I thought you were remodeling your blog! I was surprised to find out you were writing about someone else. I can't imagine doing six projects in 5 months.Did she finish them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read that many, many people are choosing now to tackle major home improvement projects, some because it's the first time they've been able to be home to deal with contractors and subcontractors. Or have had the time to do it themselves.

    Our home is only three years old, so it doesn't need major work. Three years of Southern sun has taken a toll on the front door and the shutters, and the granite counters in the bathroom needed resealing, but these are all small projects which we would do, pandemic or no pandemic.

    The only time I did a major renovation was before we moved into a house we'd inherited. And that was challenging enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my kind of renovation, doing it Before you move in. Living with a major project for months would really be a test of my mettle. Some people seem to feel more comfortable in an amount of disorder - especially that of their own making. Having my living space orderly, a place for everything, provides a sense of calm for me. I can certainly cope for awhile out of my comfort zone, but something that takes so long might be a stretch. One has to focus on the outcome. They should have their house completely finished by the holidays and that is something to look forward to.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Post