Blog Post


Walking the Harder Trail

When Life Requires A Person To Dig Deeper....


I haven't put up a new post in over two weeks. There's a good reason for that; it isn't simply because I felt lazy and chose not to. (Although since it's my blog I guess that would be okay too, although it doesn't seem okay to me.)

I am confident that every one who reads this post has walked difficult trails in their lives. The ones with rocks that threaten to trip you up, overgrown branches that whip you in the face before you have a chance to avoid them, and some steep inclines that leave you grimy, sweaty, and tired. Sometimes the trail is beyond our capability, so we need to be honest with ourselves if that's the truth. If the sign at the beginning of a literal hiking trail warns it is difficult, I don't consider it anymore.

But if you haven't walked a few of these trails by choice, you have experienced them in what life has thrown at you. And let's face it: sometimes we've taken a wrong turn and the hard trail is from a mistake we made. Other times we choose it to meet a worthy personal goal.

Have you chosen to help others along the way on their hard path? Why?

Because of a sense of obligation, or because you want to be well thought of? Or maybe a sense of guilt if you don't.... 

None of these are necessarily bad reasons; they can still yield wonderful fruit, and bring great relief to someone else's walk.

But this time it was a privilege to chose time on a difficult trail.

It was eagerly undertaken because of love. Love for family who are both biological family and spiritual family.  There was a need and I was available to meet it. The days were full of blessings, needs met, problems discussed and resolutions found or simply provided through the generosity and caring of others. There were weary hours, there was grief  and sadness shared, and God's amazing strength when we knew our own was running short.

I came to the end of this particular difficult trail worn and weary, but with a wonderful inward joy at the completion. I'm currently recharging for whatever lies ahead - the difficulty of life's future paths is unknown. All the harder paths traveled in life should leave us wiser and stronger.  Most of us have the scars to prove it.


What softies we would be if we didn't have harder paths to travel!








Comments

  1. This last episode in your life must have been a doosey. I was thinking of you and I think that as we age, we have more challenges and usually harder challenges. But, then again, maybe not. Many young people are faced with all sorts of horrors in wars etc. I think the trick is to work the challenges but not miss the good stuff. Walt Whitman was all about the good stuff, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we age we definitely have less energy and stamina to deal with challenges - some of us are more fragile than others, of course. That's why we so need to be there to help each other!
      An observation I've had is that since we have not had to expose our youth to some of the harsher realities of life our grandparents, etc., faced, they have not developed the coping skills to deal with them when they come. That includes horrors of war zones, debilitating accidents, illness, or even dealing with loss of job or a loved one.

      Delete
  2. Welcome home, MaryJo.

    Trials are part of life, and I truly pity the people who cannot grasp that and who confront trials with a deep-seated belief that God, life, and/or the universe has treated them unfairly because they've been subjected to a trial or trials.

    I can come up with all sorts of answers for joining other people in their most difficult trials, from love for family or friend or love for my neighbor in the religious sense. Sometimes, I did not really feel I had a choice (though of course we always do) because it would have been awfully hard to live with myself if I had refused.

    For the deeply religious, perhaps the reason we willingly suffer with others is because we know that God loves us and that He has suffered for us and that this love works in us to make us willing to suffer with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. Some of what I wrote above applies here, but another very significant
      fact is that in being provided with so Much, the temptation is there to come to the
      conclusion we deserve it! Life is a war zone and nobody comes out without scars.
      And the reality that many people have much because they worked hard for it doesn't seem
      to register with a lot of people either.

      Delete
  3. Great to see your blog post in my box this morning. It made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can bring anybody a smile, that brightens my day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Post