Fun Stuff

Pet Therapy

And A Dog Named Squirt


Someone near and dear to me has a dog named Squirt. He's been a part of her life for over a decade.

Squirt is now old, and he's always been neurotic. There's nothing particularly cute about him, expect maybe those big brown eyes. And he sheds; big time. 

I will admit here and now to anyone who isn't already aware of it that there are no pets at my house.

I have nothing against them but we don't seem to have a need for a dog, a cat, or any other critter that so many other people find essential for fulfillment in their lives.  So we happily avoid the cost of pet food, vet bills, and the challenge of dealing with pet hair on furniture and flooring. I sincerely admire the canines, felines, rabbits, horses, etc., of others, and love hearing the fun pet stories of  my son and daughter-in-law without having to deal with their creatures' many eccentrities and the problem of their care when being away from home.

But obviously other people do need them. Pet therapy is a wonderful fact of life. A former co-worker said she was never able to de-stress like she could out in her barn mucking out the stables and spending time with her horses.  Some people were born with an inherent love of creatures and there is a void in their lives unless they have some around. Children are often enriched by the care and love of animals as a part of their growing up experience. 

Back to Squirt: Oh he's needy alright. You know the saying, "follows me around like a puppy dog?" That's Squirt. He wants to constantly be at her side.  When she leaves him at home he will sit by a window for hours, softly whimpering until he sees her coming back. He can't be left at home too long without someone there with him; the poor thing goes into all out panic mode. At the first clap of thunder he starts to shiver.

He is also well behaved, gentle, and protective without being dangerous or a threat.  He is cuddly and of course, intensely loyal.

Right now he is a huge comfort to his owner as she goes through a difficult time in her life. Squirt senses something has changed. He is more clingy than ever, and that's okay because she's finding solace in his warm little body and those loyal eyes, too.

I have no idea if Squirt knew what I was talking about when he was told to take good care of himself so he would be around for a couple more years. He's not only needy, he's needed. 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Good for Squirt!

    I am one of those who were born with an inherent love of animals. My husband, not so much . . . so not much that mine were a factor in our decision to break up, before we were engaged. He's come to love our animals, but if he outlives me he won't ever adopt another one.

    I often say that we need animals, not because they love us, but because we need to love them, and, on the whole I think that is true. But, I know from a lifetime of experience that they do, indeed, sense our moods and respond, often with affection. My husband was not the first to remark that my cats act like dogs, as they come when called and follow me around. They know they are safe, and they know they are loved. And I know I need to love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have a dog. This one chose me, when I did not want another dog. She is the perfect embodiment of loyalty, and my husband came to love her when he saw how protective she is of me. She loves him, but she is MY dog and nothing will change her mind about that.

      Delete
  2. We have a pet now in our life. A little yippy dog with big brown eye. He has us wrapped around his little paw. I get the feeling sometimes we are his play toys instead of the other way around. But there is no doubt he is a lot of fun. We are thoroughly enjoying him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two have entirely proved my point! Thanks for sharing.
    I will add this - since I'm sure it would NEVER apply to either of you - that it does disturb me
    how some people have come to find animals some sort of fixation, and seem to think they have
    the same rights as people do.
    Animals were made for Us, not us for the animals, or on an equal footing. We are supposed
    to be good stewards of all of creation, and that includes critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I do call them my babies, but I also know they are not human. I welcome the dominion God has given me, and I believe I must be a good steward of it, but I have to believe God meant them to be exactly what they are.

      Delete
  4. There has never been a time in my life when there were not dearly loved pets until our last dog died a few years ago. Do I want another? Not at all. Do I miss one? No. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Post