Book Recommendations

 More Books to Consider

Including two very old fashioned writes

At the beginning of another week of chaos and confusion in our society at large, I have chosen to ignore all of that in my post today. Instead, I will focus on three books that may fit the need to push aside for a little while concerns that plague heart and soul and provide the way to relax and recharge.

First of all I will bring to your attention a book I haven't even read yet! I know one of you who visits here has, and given it two thumbs up. Plus the accolades already surrounding the sequel to  The War That Saved My Life are so strong there really is no risk involved in bringing it to your attention. To my joy my library was able to get a copy to me within a week, and it won't be long before I take my own advice and lose myself in:

The War I Finally Won by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley.  


 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073NQ9HSJ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

 

Now for two stories by two authors from the past, who both achieved achievement and recognition for their writing at the time, but for the most part have been forgotten in the decades since.

The Keeper of the Bees by Gene Stratton-Porter


https://www.amazon.com/Keeper-Bees-Illustrated-Gene-Stratton-Porter-ebook/dp/B00TRHVUB0 

The last book Porter wrote, this is the story of a severely wounded WWI veteran who essentially has little to live for, but with the last strength he still has, finds himself in the Los Angeles California area of the day, stumbling onto the property of a dying bee keeper. 

The story is intricate, and totally immersed in the values and thinking of the day. It is also the story of a man who finds healing of mind body and soul, assisted by the wonderful characters whom he encounters there.  The description of the imagery is beautiful.

You also learn a whole lot about keeping bees! 

  The Warrielaw Jewel by Winifred Peck


https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0USOK4/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 

According to my sources this author wrote many books but only two mysteries.  Talk about a different day! Through the intricate story line you have an entire family prone to nervous breakdowns and mental instability - all women.  The book is rather dark, except the main character, who writes in the first person, is herself wholly well-adjusted and likeable, as are her husband and several other major players. The Warrielaws themselves are a mess. I found the whole story so absorbing it was impossible not to read the whole thing and find out who killed one of the Warrielaws, and how the jewel ended up where it did. Yes, it totally sucked me in.

 

Comments

  1. I am on a waiting list for the first one, ever since I finished reading "The War that Saved my Life." I think I'm next up, and I find myself hoping that whoever has it checked out reads fast!

    I read both of Winnifred Peck's mysteries, and I enjoyed both. They are a bit different from many of the Golden Age mysteries, but I am glad I found them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Post