Fun Stuff

 So now I have a Breadmaker

And time will tell if this new venture works for me

 
   I've never asked for a breadmaker, never wanted one. One reason for that currently is that my kitchen storage space is limited and taken up already.  There are too many things sitting on my counter tops for my taste as well, but to bend over all the time to pull out the toaster, etc. is a poor second choice - even if there was room in the cupboards. 

     The occasional times I make yeast rolls, plus the annual Christmas stromboli, didn't justify such a purchase either.  Besides, there is something satisfying and therapeutic about kneading dough for 6 to 8 minutes.

     But my son didn't get the memo in time. He is quite the cook extraordinaire and remembered how my sister and I enjoyed the result of his efforts during a visit some time ago.  He thought it would be the perfect Christmas gift. By the time he realized my feelings on having one it was too late.

     He is still telling me to give it away, but I've decided not to. Why not try it and see if I change my mind? The very large black box is sitting on the top of my refrigerator, but if this works out there has to be a place in the cupboard for it somewhere.

     My son is always trying to bring me up to date. Usually it is in the field of technology. Computer technology isn't his bread and butter but he is very good at absorbing all of the latest knowledge and techniques. He loves the stuff and may have been one of the first to embrace Alexa. 

     The poor guy has met his greatest challenge in his not so geeky mother. But due to his persistence and two previous gifts, he's had a small measure of success.

     We send each other photographs via smart phones of new recipes that have been successful.  If my first attempt at using the breadmaker goes well, he'll see my first loaf of  oatmeal buttermilk bread.  I'm looking forward to trying it. At least this advancement in my knowledge base is in the food department. 


 

 

Comments

  1. Good luck with the experiments.

    I'm one of those rare people who don't particularly care for bread -- perhaps my body knew I couldn't tolerate gluten before my brain? -- but I've always liked baking it . . . until I tried baking gluten-free bread. The dough sticks like superglue, and there's no point to kneading without any gluten to develop. Still, the people around me love bread, and rolls, and freshly made breads.

    This year, I read about adding whole milk powder (or, if one can't find whole milk powder, non-fat dry milk) to the flour/dry ingredients, so I tried it. I'm convinced: My dough was easier to handle, and my bread and rolls rose higher with lighter, fluffier texture than without the milk powder. We enjoyed the traditional holiday rolls so much that I've continued making dough, and dinner and sweet rolls. I even took advantage of a sale at Amazon to buy a gluten-free bread book from the gluten-free baker who first developed a gluten-free bread that looks and taste like regular bread.

    Now, I just need to try the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a couple of gluten free recipes with my instructions; wonder how they taste...

      Delete
  2. Well, store bought bread continues to be a disappointment - somehow it is too dry or too damp and both seem to mold before I can eat it. I've wrapped it in plastic, and put it in Tupperware and refrigerated it - or have not refrigerated it - or just wrapped it in plastic. Nothing seems to work these days. Long ago I had a bread maker and like you, did not like the space it took on the counter and even then, learning how to make really good bread escaped me. Whatever has happened to bread these days? I don't remember it being so difficult to find good bread.

    So, I wish you luck with your bread maker and if you have success, let me know how you have done it!
    P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried Sara Lee Artesano bakery bread? It comes in white, light wheat and sour dough. (husband likes it) But my favorite store bought bread is from Kroger Private Selection Wide Pan Bread. I like it better than Pepperidge Farm or Brownberry.
      I have not had trouble with dryness or dampness in story bought bread.

      Delete
  3. I have a machine that I am sure was a lemon and that's why it was for sale on the internet. Its rising cycle goes too long and I constantly have over-proofed bread that looks like a mushroom. My latest loaf was a success but I only used 3/4 of a teaspoon of yeast.
    Carol, I have not tried dry milk for the purpose of a lighter, fluffier texture but plan on it. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P., I will let you know! Obviously using a breadmaker isn't the sure proof answer to enjoying our favorite bread. I intend to add the dry milk powder Carole recommends though.
    Here at our store I have found 2 breads from the bakery section that are satisfactory; the 7 grain,
    and the rye. They get the dough and bake them on site. But sometimes they are hard to come by,
    so if this works out for me, that would be a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try adding the whole milk powder to cake batter, too. I am sold on it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Post