Book Recommendation

Saving My Assassin

A Memoir by Virginia Prodan

A five star read in the opinion of thousands - including me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0198U69XO/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

     This book has been at the top of my to read list for quite some time, as I patiently waited for a markdown to put it within my usual book budget. The markdown never came, and the state library system could not obtain it for me. (The failure of our library was a surprise, as this book has been lauded on many fronts.) 

     So I finally used a portion of a Christmas gift card and bought a soft copy, with the intention of sharing it if the story was as good as it is reputed to be. 

     It is. Virginia is a amazing woman by any standards. She grew up in Romania during the oppressive years of dictatorial communist rule in a loveless home where her treatment was nothing short of child abuse. By sheer will and determination she used her energy and intelligence to become one of Romania's few woman lawyers. Every step she takes - with the exception of a year with a kind and loving relative while in her teens - is an uphill climb with one hurtle to be overcome after another. 

     But she perseveres. It is in her early twenties, married with two little girls, now achieving some of the recognition and success she worked so hard for, that this tiny little redhead faces the fact of how tired she is. She's tired of living in the constant web of deceit, lies, and fear that is the fabric of life in Romania. Is there nothing else?

     The invitation of a client to attend the worship service of a gathering of Christians changes everything. Virginia's empty, searching heart has found the love and fulfillment it was looking for. Now begins the journey God intended for her all along. 

     Risking everything to do what she knows is right, Ms. Prodan becomes the hope of countless believers throughout Romania who face imprisonment or worse for 'crimes' such as transporting Bibles, improving their church buildings, or not giving the brutal Nicolae Ceausescu the adoration he demanded. Pulling up obscure state laws still in existence she has amazing successes. 

     But she may pay for it with her own life, and the future of her children as well. Why she did not is a story that can only inspire. It would be difficult for anyone to deny it is also miraculous.

 

Comments

  1. Thanks for the review. It looks like a winner. I found it in my state library system. Not many but one is enough. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have told me privately about the many recommendations you had received for this, because I recall the title. I am sure I would love it. But, if it isn't available through my library, I will have to wait a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Post