Book Recommendation

 The Heirness of Linn Hagh by Karen Charlton

The first Inspector Lavendar Mystery

 https://www.amazon.com/Heiress-Linn-Detective-Lavender-Mysteries-ebook/dp/B00QKUW8WM 


      If you are looking for a new series for a relaxing fiction read, this is worth your consideration. The time period is a bit unusual, as the author has chosen early 19th century England for her background. 

     My experience with mystery and historical fiction set in time periods predating the twentieth century is they tend to be unrealistic, which annoys me. Even if the plot is clever and the characters likeable it's hard to get past the liberties in the supposed reality of the background.

     But Ms. Charlton does her homework and you get the flavor of the day.  London's law enforcement is in its infancy, ignorance and superstitions run rampant, as does poverty and class distinction. It was what it was, and our introduction to Inspector Lavendar is placed within pretty correct background perameters, cultural mores, and current attitudes. 

     On to the inspector, who is a bit of a dark horse, a quiet man but an intelligent one, able to think and reason outside the box.  I liked Inspector Lavendar, and his attitude toward his assistant, Constable Woods. Every good snoop needs a worthy helper and Woods is every bit of that. 

     So on to the plot of this pilot book: it was pretty good. And since it's initial debut the author has done some re-editing which has probably polished it up.

     When reductions in the e-book price of $4.99 have been offered I've read four of these to date and liked them all. As one does in a well written series, I've enjoyed following the inspector and constable through their professional and private lives.  

 


https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WFIM490/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Second Inspector Lavendar Mystery 

Comments

  1. How about that? The first is available to borrow from Kindle Unlimited. I have something else to read first, after I finish my Sarah Sundin library loan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me wish I was into mysteries.

      Delete
    2. Well, I did read it because I finished my library book and had my Kindle with me instead of my laptop, which has what I planned to read. If you hadn't given such an enthusiastic recommendation, I might have given up.

      I found it difficult to get into for a really, really long time, but I did eventually want to read it. I am not used to that much vulgarity in a Regency setting, and the foul language grated on my "ears" so much that I am longing to read Jane Austen now as an antidote. I even read the second book of the series. But that was enough for me. It followed the same pattern, hard to enjoy for too long before I actually did enjoy it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Post