Blog Post

Revisions to the Sally Nimitz Mysteries in Progress.... four down and three to go.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Amelia-Marsh-Nimitz-Mysteries-ebook/dp/B083G9WXRR 

     With the completion of Sally Nimitz mystery number 8, Justice for Stacey, I wasn't sure if my intention was to continue the series any further. First I had another project in mind: re-edits of the other stories. I've been working on that project since January. 

     It was a good decision. The stories haven't changed at all but the products are much cleaner. Doing this made me realize how much I've learned about proper editing over the years. Not that they're perfect mind you. But without flattering myself it is fair to say the mysteries are a cut above some of the mystery series I've been reading from other authors. The asking price of $2.99 for an e-book copy is less than I've paid for books that have need a good cleanup themselves. And honestly, I've enjoyed re-reading the stories!

     The self-publishing process is a learning curve all the way. The less of a budget the writer has, and the less time or opportunity to spend in good writing seminars or classes, the longer the process may take.  

      One of the four books I've just revised was in particular need of another look. It should have been done sooner, but until tackling it I was ignorant as to how rough it was. Ironically it is the one book I paid a professional editor to go over for me.  But that was several years ago. I hadn't re-read most of the early mysteries since, and doing so with a fresh eye was a huge bonus.  

     There were a couple of new traps I was falling into when writing Justice for Stacey, which my two re-readers of the story made me aware of. You always need other eyes to critique your book material before putting it out to other readers. But other editors, professional or not, can never take the place of an author going over her material again, and again, and again. 

     You just have to take a break in-between so you are able to pick up on things. It can all become a blur after a while, staring at the manuscript on the computer screen. 

     So if you haven't read The Death of Amelia Marsh, The Disappearance of Douglas White, The Strange Situation at Emlee, or The Truth About Charlie before, now is the time! And just maybe you'll want to download the revised versions and read them again. 

 *Incidentally, the reason Justice For Stacey is not listed  or shown with the other books is because I'm only allowed to post 7 titles there.

Write another Sally Nimitz mystery? I'm not sure. Do another revision of the first seven books again at a later date? Definitely not. When I've completed the next three that's it, warts and all. 

 

https://www.amazon.com/Disappearance-Douglas-White-Mystery-Mysteries/dp/1494267586 

 

Comments

  1. You have learned a lot from all the hard work you have put into your books, both in writing and in revising them. It has been a labor, but I am sure it has been worthwhile, too.

    Incidentally, I never mailed off the copy of "Justice for Stacey" which you autographed for me. The intended recipient stopped speaking to me about that time, and I decided to keep it rather than bestow it on an ungrateful wretch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if I'd known that I would have personalized it for you!

      Delete
    2. Well if I'd known that I would have personalized it for you!

      Delete
    3. Hopefully, I will get to see you again someday and you can update it then. 🙂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Post