Blog Post

 When Things Turn Out The Way You Hoped They Would

And most of us know that doesn't always happen.

 
    Two of my husband's children decided it was high time they saw their Dad. There are several reasons for this, one being it has been over six and a half years since the three of them saw each other.  And one of the reasons it has been so long is because they live on the east coast and we live in Colorado. 

      Five weeks ago they found affordable tickets for this past weekend. And his daughter decided that surprising Dad with a visit over Father's Day weekend was just the thing.

        But have you ever tried to keep a secret from the person you are the closest to for five weeks??? It was one of hardest things I have ever done. Bill is retired and he is home most of the time. 

     How do you prepare meals ahead of time for four without raising suspicion? In my case, you didn't do it. And what about making sure the bed linen for the guest accommodations were clean? That wasn't as difficult to carry off. 

     Being sneaky is not a trait to be fine tuned or encouraged if you are not in military covert intelligence. But I had to make sure to check communications with said children in the in box of my e-mail when he wasn't apt to walk by and notice and want to know what it was about. Then I buried the flight itinerary, etc. in one of my saved files so it wouldn't routinely come up on my screen

      It was necessary to tell only a very select few about this exciting development, because eventually someone could slip up and say something to spoil the surprise. But I just Had to share it with a few because it was too wonderful of a development not to! 

     Then the big day came. And they were late because of glitches at the car rental agency.  The waiting is prolonged. What agony.

     Finally, two people knock at the door and the surprise reunion takes place. It was wonderful! Perfect! And no heart attack from the shock either. 

     All weekend I had the pleasure of observing their affection, comraderie, laughter, and just enjoying being together. The little jaunts we took, the extended conversations, sharing of confidences and memories....  It was all I dreamed it could be during those weeks of waiting for it to happen.

There were tears too. Especially this morning when the good-byes had to be said. Healthy tears.

The best Father's Day ever.  


 

Comments

  1. What an enjoyable way to spend a weekend making lasting memories. Nice picture. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated Father's Day to Bill. What a great surprise.

    I have been missing in action for several weeks because I didn't change my phone number or my email address, just its password, after learning that they (along with my name, address and date of birth) had been sold on the dark web for at least five months. All of this eventually fell into the hands of hackers who locked me out of my email, tracked my phone calls to intercept my attempts to get it straightened out but ultimately failed to do anything worse. It's been a nightmare, and I want to warn everyone that the scams today are unimaginably sophisticated. Changing passwords wasn't enough. Still catching up on all I missed, as I just got new stuff yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every person's nightmare, and you had to live it. Thanks for sharing so we can all be more aware.

      Delete
  3. Oh, so nice! Times to cherish. Warms the cockles of my heart, (smile).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that - cockles! I looked it up: "to make someone pleased or cheerful."
      :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Post