Book Recommendation

Sand in My Eyes

by Seigniora Russell Laune


 

This is a gem of a memoir I happened upon about five years ago. Because it is available on Amazon in soft and hard cover formats (and just might show up in some libraries), I've now decided to feature it here.

     Seigniora Russell was fifteen years old when her family moved from a comfortable life in Little Rock, Arkansas to the Texas panhandle because of her father's health. It was the late 1800's.  Never had they seen so much dust, and never before had it been necessary to learn so many new things - like milk a cow and brand cattle.  But 'Nonie' Russell thrived on the challenges and the adventure,which turned out to be the first of many in her long life.

     This is what happens when you have an outgoing personality and don't allow road blocks to get in the way of what you know you can accomplish. It's what happens when you marry an intelligent and innovative visionary like Sydney Laune. 

     From Texas to Colorado to Nebraska and back to the prairie in Oklahoma, the author's memory and attention to detail is amazing. The wild west was alive and kicking  and shooting. The wind was constant. (That's one thing that hasn't changed.) Young women didn't even Look in the direction of the town saloon, and no one thought twice when you called your new husband "Mr. Laune." 

     That's just a brief sampling of the sometimes amazing, sometimes humorous, sometimes sad, but always unique memories of this most amazing lady.

     Sand In My Eyes is not front and center in the retail marketplace these days, so I could not include a direct link for you to access it. But for those who enjoy personalized stories of every day people who lived in America's past, this is another such recommendation for you. 

     And one personal story that involves this book: 

     While volunteering at the local assisted living facility I met a lady in her 80's who had spent all of her life in northeastern New Mexico as a rancher's daughter, then a rancher's wife. We became good friends and due to her own personal experiences I knew she would love this book. So I gifted it to her. But just a few weeks before she died she gave it back to me, probably knowing she didn't have much longer to live and knowing how much enjoyment it gave me. Thank you Marianna. I'll never forget you, with your treasure chest of great stories and your love for Johnson's Ridge.

** My copy has these wonderful black and white drawings in the 1956 edition. I'm including one of them below.


 

 


  

Comments

  1. I remember reading and enjoying this book many years ago. I had forgotten about it, since there have been so many good reads between then and now. I can definitely endorse this book. I think it may be a good one to revisit. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at the picture I am amazed again at the way women dressed! Notice the high heels? The hat? The lovely dress? And I am sure the children in the stroller were dressed as well - when did they have time???? I remember my mother in a "house dress" every day, nylons with the seam straight up the calf, heels, hat, gloves if going out . . . How could they do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a woman left her house prior to 1966 - or so - she Always dressed up in the
      best she had available due to her financial status. Mrs. Laune's husband had some financial means, it was the turn of the century, and this is just how she would dress to leave the house and go visiting or shopping. And it made no difference if the wind and the sand would leave her a mess in 10 minutes flat!
      My memories of Mom had her in a modest house dress or casual pants and top at home when I was a girl, but always with make up and spiffed up when she went out. And Never
      to church or any social event without the hosiery!
      These memories often come to mind when I see the women out in public now who look like they've just rolled out of bed, grabbed the car keys, and went about their day.

      Delete
  3. I remember having to go put on a Sunday dress to go downtown, while my mother and grandmother also donned hats, and that was probably 1970! After turning 12, I had to wear a lace cap or a hat for church, like the ladies. I was prepared, then, for my first trip to Europe where the celebrated cathedrals enforced a minimal dress code. We saw at least one clutch of girls on the steps of each cathedral, denied entry over bare heads, bare arms and bare legs (short skirts were OK, but not short pants).

    The book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be a happy medium in modesty and dress somewhere.... between corsets and 4 petticoats year around to just about nothing on at all! It's doubtful there will be ever a be a consensus on what that is.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Post