Book Recommendations

A Blast From The Past

The writings of M.M. Kaye

 https://www.amazon.com/Death-Zanzibar-M-Kaye/dp/0312241240 

Haven't we all revisited books we've enjoyed in years past? A stroll through the fiction aisle of the used bookstore brought back a real twinge of reading nostalgia. Someone had donated some books written by Mary Margaret Kaye. 

     Born in 1908 in India, the lady's life was one adventure after another. She shared  those years later on in life in a series of autobiographies. Gifted with real writing talent, Kaye utilized it and her intimate knowledge of India in The Far Pavilions. This was arguably the most celebrated book of 1978, an immense volume that took me awhile to conquer when I tackled it maybe twenty years ago. But it was an amazing accomplishment. She deserved the acclaim this book brought her.

     M.M. Kaye wrote a number of other books that are still available today. Admittedly my own favorites are her mysteries. Taking advantage of the many places she lived as her husband was assigned to posts all over the world, she wrote clever whodunits. Oh they're dated now but don't let that put you off from a look and see. To me the romances are refreshing, and as with other mystery authors of decades gone by, part of the fun is taking a walk into another time and another place.  

     Apparently there is still a wide appeal for Death In Zanzibar, Death in Kenya, Death in Berlin, etc., because in all formats they are not bargain priced.  But any extensive library system is likely to have Kaye's work on their shelves. 

 

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Kashmir-Mystery-M-Kaye/dp/0312263104

 

Comments

  1. I picked up a copy of "Far Pavilions" on your recommendation years ago, and I still haven't read it.

    Too many books. Too little time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that saga will take quite a bit of your time!

      Delete
    2. Well, it did but I finally finished it and I am glad you prompted me to read it. I cried at the end. It's nearly 1,000 pages, but it never felt long, even though I was often interrupting myself to look up different events, people, places and customs.

      Delete
  2. I read a lot of gothic type mysteries/romance when I was a kid. Most set in other countries. This author sounds really familiar but I can't remember if I've read her before or not. Thanks for the suggestion. Knowing my penchant for hoarding books, I may have an old paperback copy in the attic;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be a lot of attics and old bookcases full of old paperback and hard cover treasures.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Post