Book Recommendations

 Suggestions For Your Reading Enjoyment

A Memoir

This Time Next Year We'll Be Laughing

 Jacqueline Winspear

 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08681Y7KM/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 

 Recently I brought this read to your attention because of who wrote it and because it was greatly reduced in price.

     If you enjoy true accounts I can now say with confidence this is worth your time. Winspear is a member of the post WWII baby boomer generation, born into a working class British family. 

     Blessed with a fantastic memory, she shares an amazing true account of her growing up years. You have a front row seat to what was a loving but at times challenging family life in the years Britain's people were recovering from war. Like my siblings and myself she and her brother were taught the value of hard work, loyalty, and the joys of country living.

      It was a real surprise to be able to relate some of my own experiences growing up in rural Wisconsin to hers.  The author and her mother loved each other dearly, but Joyce Winspear bore the scars of abuse while an evacuee from the London bombing, and a thyroid condition made her moods unpredictable. (My mother also had a serious thyroid malady.) She adored her father Albert, whose solid psyche and innate kind nature provided so much of the wisdom and guidance that shaped her future. 

     And if you've read the Maisie Dobbs mysteries, you'll recognize some of the family history and experiences she wove into Maise's adventures. Example: While extremely poor newly weds Winspear's parents lived for a time with the gypsies. As a very good story teller herself, Jacqueline's mother passed the stories of those days down to her daughter.

     Sadly the book is full price now, listed at $14.99. But with the author's reputation it is likely available in most library systems.  

 Mysteries on sale by two authors I've enjoyed

      As I write this, there are two fun mysteries on sale. Hopefully the markdowns will last a few days.


 
 
and
 

 

  

Comments

  1. I have "Henrietta Who?" I might have the Moyes mystery, too. If not, I have a similar one. I was collecting the Aird books and waiting until I had all, or at least several of the earlier ones, so I could read them consecutively.

    Meanwhile, "The Far Pavilions" is on my table waiting for me to finish the current series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy for me, I have not read that Inspector Tibbets mystery by Moyes, so I grabbed it.

      Delete
    2. My copy is a very old paperback, and I think it was a secondhand buy. I haven't read it in years, and I don't remember it, but I must have liked it enough to intend to read it again since I kept it.

      I just started Far Pavilions. So far, so good.

      Delete
    3. Some authors who were so celebrated in their day don't stand the test of time very well, but the talent of some outlives them even if they don't become a household name.
      But of course even good material is forgotten through the decades by all but a few.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Post