Blog Post

 First things first:

A big thank you to writer Amy Walsh who featured me on Walsh mountain recently. You can see the post for yourself at

 https://walshmountainpublishing.com/blog//

I look forward to introducing Amy to you here in the near future, provided she can spare the time from her amazingly busy schedule. But you can go to Amy's home page from this address and explore some of her current books for yourself.

*******

A New Adventure - and may it be worthwhile for all concerned.

It is wrong to envy, so let's use the word admire. I very much admire individuals in my age bracket that manage to be so productive. I just don't measure up to some of them when it comes to how much they accomplish. While brooding about this situation in the past, the truth presented itself. I am me, in my body, my mind, with my strengths and limitations. It is fruitless to keep doing comparisons. (And after all, there are also some individuals who due to ill health, etc., are not capable of keeping up with me.)

     What's important is making the days and hours count for good with what I have to offer. Thus the decision to embark on something new. 

     In a short time the yard will start going into hibernation and not need the attention it does from May through September. I've finished the revisions on my Sally Nimitz mysteries. True, doing a weekly blog post does require a little and effort, but after all this time as a rule it doesn't take as much.

     Meanwhile, one of those people I admire so much is a friend of mine who could be enjoying full retirement but went back to work as a grade school teacher in a small local private school. There was a huge need and she stepped up. Not only did she step up, she is doing a wonderful job of it.

     There is also a need for volunteers, especially volunteers to help the two ladies who teacher the younger munchkins. And here I am, considering how to do something worthwhile outside of the domestic scene with a few hours of my time each week ... 

This is a huge confession you're getting here. I am almost as nervous thinking about working with these kids as I was in the past starting a new job! Maybe more so.  


 



 

 

 


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for sharing this, Linda.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Oh, assisting teaching kids is a fun thing to do. I am sure you will enjoy it and be enriched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the idea! Feedback coming at a later date.

      Delete
  3. Don't worry, Mary Jo, As long as you cover your work with prayer, the Lord will guide you. The little ones only require that you love and encourage them. You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You notice the giving of my time was extended toward the smaller children, who require reading, phonetic, and math skills that do not tax me too much.
      And you can count on it; prayers are mandatory.

      Delete
  4. Years ago, I volunteered as a literacy teacher at an elementary school. I spent an hour a couple of days a week with three third-graders who couldn't read but had been promoted. If they didn't learn by the end of the year, they were going to be left behind. My employer agreed to let me take a little extra time off at lunch to do it. And it was one of the most rewarding things I ever did. All three learned to read, but they also found pride. They had been scorned by classmates, who weren't that much better, as stupid, and I was invited near the end of the school year to hear them read to the class. I have never forgotten them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a wonderful! Obviously you were perfect for the job, too. And how could you ever forget
      being able to make a difference as you did.
      I hope to do a fraction as well.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the shout out, MaryJo! I enjoyed perusing your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Post