Blog Post

 The Importance of a Door

It makes a Strong First Impression



 We decided the front door needed to be painted. After over a decade it was time.

Everyone says how nice our new bright red door looks. (It was a dark red previously.) And we've been told that a red door is supposed to be lucky. We don't believe in luck, but we agree that the door came out well. 

This seemed like a straight forward little job. Especially when we realized it wasn't necessary to take the door off of its hinges to do it.

It wasn't simple at all, it was a big hassle. We really wanted a dark red door again, but the paint used the first time - by the previous owner maybe fourteen years ago - was dried up and the supplier no longer carried paint. We went to a reputable retail store in the next town, twenty-two miles away, to buy new paint. 

We had the color from the old paint can we showed  to the associate running the paint supply department but he had no recommendations for a match. We looked at the color chart and chose what looked like a close enough match. But when we got it home and opened the can of prepared paint it was purple! Very purple. A stroke on the side of the door did not reassure us; it looked like we might end up with a dark purple door. Maybe that would have been okay, maybe not.

I was very miffed to think the man at the supply store didn't realize we were getting purple. My husband went back by himself, as I was in too dark a humor to be pleasant in public. (In my defense, part of the reason for this was that I tripped over a full paint can when we were there the first time and now had a huge bruise on my leg.)

The only safe choice was a bright red, so bright red it is. Two coats. We accept the fact it was risky to continue to aim for a dark red door, and we're happy with what we ended up with.

So back to the purpose of a door.  It's purpose reminds me that all of life is entering or leaving behind, beginnings and endings. Chapters begin and chapters end. The very first time we went through this door the house was for sale. Someday we will close it for the last time.  The years in between have been full of life's experiences with more to come. We've welcomed many guests here. We can name many wonderful and many sad experiences that involved the front door opening and closing. 

This post is also about the closing of another door.  This is my last post on Upbeat Book Talk. 

The final decision was rather sudden. My reason? Because I've pretty well exhausted the discussions that cover the very purpose the blog was begun in the first place; to discuss and share reading material that enriches our lives. 

It has also been very enjoyable to share some portions of my own life with you. The responses you have given in return have been fun, thought provoking, interesting, and informative. 

But I'm not interested in keeping Upbeat Book Talk going for the sole purpose of an audience to share my own personal experiences with. Many if not most of you who will be reading this are people I share my life with at any rate, and we have that connection. 

The blog will be here for several weeks for any who want to re-read posts or to contact me via my g-mail address.  I love to correspond. If we aren't already in each other's e-mail address file you can be sure you'll get a response through this address which you access by clicking the 3 little bars in the top left hand corner of the home page and scrolling down. 

If you choose to comment on this post, you'll get replies as you always have.

And please don't forget to share with others who enjoy mysteries, my own Sally Nimitz mysteries! 

The door to  my house will always be open to you. 


 


 

Comments

  1. All good things come to an end. Receiving your blog posts has been an enjoyable. I am glad this is not the end of our correspondence. I would miss hearing from you! 🧡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice picture. I like the color of your door. It turned out well. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I like the door even though it isn't the shade you wanted. It looks cheerful. Warm. Welcoming.

    As for the blog, I have enjoyed it but they do devour time and energy. The free platforms all seem to have drawbacks, and you'd have to be a business or an influencer to justify spending money on paid platforms. I do keep up with you, and I am likely to do a better job without the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The door is GREAT! Who would have thought such a brilliant red could be so attractive? And it was such a creative way to bring closure to your blog. Lovely - one of your best. I'm keeping that picture of you with the open door in my scrapbook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey my sweet sister. I am sorry to see your blog go, because I have enjoyed every one. However, I am not arguing with your decision. Good thing we have other means to share our lives. God bless and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unknown, I've notice myself to be fairly photogenic if the photos are taken from a certain distance!
    How fun to read that you all like the door so much.

    Carole, you have the pleasure of being the focus - with your lovely photography - of one of my most popular posts!

    Thank you all so very much for your support.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Post