Fun Stuff

 Early Lessons in Entering the World of Seven to Nine Year Olds Again

As usual, when the goal is to assist someone else - in this case a child - I'm learning too.

 
 

     I've had just 4 tutoring sessions with my friend's grade school students. At this early stage of learning even I can handle assisting with grammar, American history, science, and math. 

     New knowledge gained so far:

1) Once completely lost to my memory bank, I can now tell you with confidence what all the soft vowel sounds are. For example, soft e is the sound of e as in elephant. Eh, eh, eh. 

2) If anyone wants to ask me what the definition of a hypothesis is, you will get an immediate and smooth response. I mean yes, I Knew what a hypothesis is, but giving the definition would not have rolled off my tongue. 

3) Forty minutes is about as long as I'm able to keep a munchkin on track as we tackle the assignment set before us. Maybe forty-five.....  But even that time span will be spent peppered with yawns and squirmy bottoms. We just deal with it.  (Every child has been great to follow the prompts and carry through on instructions.) 

4)  Do You remember that the Europeans used to call the Atlantic Ocean The Sea of Darkness? Or, that Columbus appealed to the king of Portugal before he went to Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain to get the money to go exploring?  I'm a history buff and I forgot that part.

5) The importance of learning to read cannot be overstated.

6) An earnest nine year old's observation: "You look pretty scary when you take your glasses off."

Good to know. 


 

 

Comments

  1. Children are so much fun. I am glad you are enjoying yourself. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the "Eh, eh, eh"! LOL
    So pleased that joy in life continues - we need that as the political situation heats up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I ever heard the name "Sea of Darkness" for the Atlantic Ocean, but I did know Columbus first approached the Portuguese king. Portugal was a great seafaring nation. Did you know that Portuguese sailors taught the Japanese the cooking technique now known as tempura?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that.... I knew the Portuguese made contact with the Japanese before the rest of the western European countries did, so that makes a lot of sense.

      Delete
    2. My Japanese relatives and I have always been grateful to the Portuguese. We love tempura.

      Portugal's power has been waning so long that quite a few people forget its influence on the world. Portuguese is still spoken in Brazil, of course, though I find that many people think it was a Spanish colony.

      Delete
  4. What fun to read your observations! Keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there will probably be a post on later observations.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Post